Statcounter

Monday, August 06, 2018

Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things

I caught a bad cold a few days ago and I ended up watching movies and documentaries in between sleeping and resting. This documentary resonates, especially at a time when we keep being pushed into insatiable consumerism by corporate advertising, and society in general. 

Minimalism is one way of getting out of the superficial consumer rut and getting in touch with our true selves. In this documentary, Dan Harris. explains that we keep wanting more because we're wired to "hunt". Since we don't need to hunt like caveman anymore, we now hunt for things to better our lives.

We're told by our governments to buy goods to keep the economy rolling so our countries can prosper. But corporations seem to gain the most in this, hence the extreme gap between rich and poor. So, why make prosperity the main goal in our lives? What about aiming for a sensible economy that is not fed by useless goods but the betterment of people's well-being?

I'm all for minimalism although I do want some minimum comfort in my home and I'm not planning to live with items that fit into a few bags. But I do feel lighter when I get rid of things I don't need. Owning less frees the mind. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Minimalism can help us focus on more important things. like meaningful connections with people and communities that are inclusive and respectful of others, which would result in less anger and violence in this world. 




Here's a preview of the documentary. You can watch it on Netflix.

No comments: