Statcounter

Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Lin Fengmian: the uncle I wish I had met

In the last week, I saw a few documentaries about the life of Lin Fengmian, a cousin of my father. He is hailed internationally as the artist who started modern art in China by blending western techniques and traditional Chinese art.

I wish I had met this incredibly talented uncle whose work and life fascinate me. But we lived in different countries, and a generation gap, and cultural differences separated us.

He had already passed away by the time relatives showed me the wide range of his work. I was sad that I never had a chance to meet him. As an artist, I felt an immediate affinity for his watercolours, and the moods he created with the harmonious movements of his brush.

I learned from the documentaries that traumatic events marked his life. I imagine painting was a healing force that helped him express his pain, and make life bearable, and even enjoyable.

These documentaries are in French. For those not familiar with French, and interested in his art, you can see samples of his work in those films.

Lin Fengmian: Combattre pour l'art

Lin Fenmian: S'approcher de l'art pur

Lin Fengmian: Hanté par calvaires






No comments: