Statcounter

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis

















September seems to be for book reviews. Here's one more on my friend Terry Fallis's book.

It's been over a year since Terry won the Leacock Award for Humour. You can read more on his blog about his incredible journey. I've been slow to post a review but I think Terry will forgive me as he knows I'm a big fan and have sent his book around the world to friends in Mauritius, Paris, Washington and Shenzhen.

Terry's climb to literary stardom is the kind fairy tales are made of. I read The Best Laid Plans when it was self-published, and tentatively making its way into the literary market, way before the euphoria of the Leacock Award, before it went mainstream with McClelland and Stewart.

I'm usually not keen about reading books on politics. But since our sons are on the same hockey team, and Terry is such a nice guy, the quintessential Canadian man, so polite, smart and witty, I thought I should read it. And I'm glad I did.

The political background of the book was just the kind of stuff I could handle. Irreverent, and sometimes stretched to the absurd. I had such good laughs, even feeling some kind of fellowship with melon throwers - I bet many readers share the secret desire to throw melons at pompous and vacant political figures. The satire that ran throughout the book brought much insight into the bungling political machine while infusing a feel-good fantasy about how a country should really be run. There was also the comforting feel of familiar Canadian scenes, the small town, the eccentric professor covered in snow. And to top it all romance, yes with sex scenes and all ...

Now, this is to tempt you not only to read TBLP but to look forward to the sequel that Terry is working on diligently.

No comments: